Tips to Finding a Good Stylist
When doing your research, here are a few key things to look for in a good stylist:
- Open and understanding – When looking for a hairstylist, you want one who is open and is understanding. It’s important that the hairstylist you choose is not only able to communicate and introduce you to new things, but is also able to listen to your wants and needs and be able to respect your boundaries. You don’t want to rely on someone who isn’t open to communicating with you or isn’t open to taking your boundaries to heart.
- Chair-side comfort – What’s a good hairstylist if you aren’t able to feel comfortable around him/her? There is no saying that your hairstylist needs to be your best friend, but it’s helpful when you’re able to feel a sense of comfort and trust. You don’t want someone cutting or styling your hair that you can’t depend on to do the job properly. Your comfort level doesn’t need to skyrocket, but it should definitely be at a pretty high level.
- Constructive criticism – In today’s world, everyone should be able to take criticism in a positive way. You shouldn’t be afraid to voice your opinion to the hairstylist. If you have something to say, say it, and the stylist should make note of it, but should never take it in a demeaning or rude way. Criticism never hurts.
- Mini-mind reader – You surely don’t expect a hairstylist to be able to read your mind, but what you do want is someone who is able to read you. Sometimes you’ll go into the salon happy and chatting away. Other times you may go in and be a bit quiet and mellow that day. Your hairstylist should be able to pick up your mood and adjust accordingly.
- Two E’s: Experience and education – Those who are often good at what they do are good because they are educated in that area of expertise and because of the experience they have. The hairstylist you choose should have education in dealing with all types of hair, the basics, and so on. He/she should also have experience working as a hairstylist. When these two things come together, you can ensure that the hairstylist has a great reputation.
Before you settle on a hairdresser, consider our suggestions. If you are really concerned, ask for a consultation. This way you’ll have a first-hand experience with the hairstylist. Just be prepared, if you love the stylist in a consultation, you will likely have to reschedule for when they have time to book you for the full service. No matter how you get to your first appointment, once there the interaction and end result will surely allow you to decide whether or not this appointment will be your first and last, or the first of many to come!